How To Install and Setup PyCharm for Python in Windows 10 in 2021?
Are you just starting your journey to become a Pythoneer or Pythonista? If yes, then your first step should be choosing the best IDE for you. There is a number of python IDEs available on the internet, but I would recommend you to kick start your Python journey by installing PyCharm community edition. Why? Because PyCharm community edition comes with a lot of exciting features such as version control, visual debugging, syntax highlighting and many more. In this article, I will guide you to install PyCharm on your computer without any errors.
Follow the steps given below to install and set up PyCharm IDE for Python:
- Download Python by clicking here. You can install any version of Python of your choice. But, I would recommend you to download the latest version of Python., i.e., Python 3.9.1 at the time of writing this article.
- Install the .exe file. Make sure you check “Add Python 3.9 to path” otherwise you would need to call it from the command line like this:
Whereas you can access it by just typing “Python” if you add Python to the path.
- Verify if the Python is installed correctly or not by typing python –version in the Windows PowerShell.
If the Python version is displayed, then it is installed on your computer.
Otherwise, you will see an error message as shown in the below animation :
- The next step is to download the Community version of PyCharm IDE by clicking here. The community version is free to use. You can download the Professional edition if you want(it has additional support for HTML, JS and SQL). If you are a beginner, then I would recommend you to use the community edition.
- Install the PyCharm as shown in the below animation :
PyCharm requires you to reboot your computer after installation. You can reboot as soon as the installation completes by clicking “Reboot Now” or you can skip and reboot your computer later by clicking on “I want to manually reboot later.”
- After rebooting your computer, open the PyCharm IDE and click on “ Create New Project.”
- Select the location and name of the project.
- Click on Existing Interpreter > System Interpreter > Python39.
With this, you are all set to run your python programs in PyCharm. Let’s create a Hello World program to make sure that everything is working correctly. Follow to below steps to create a new python file in PyCharm :
- Double click on Demo(I created a project named Demo in step 8)
- Click on NewàPython File.
- Enter the name of the file and hit enter.
Let’s run the Hello.py file we just created.
In the above animation, you can clearly see that our Hello World program is running perfectly. So that’s how you can easily set up PyCharm to run your Python programs.